Huda Fakhreddine’s work focuses on modernist movements or trends in Arabic poetry and their relationship to the Arabic literary tradition. She is interested in the role of the Arabic qaṣīda as a space for negotiating the foreign and the indigenous, the modern and the traditional, and its relationship to other poetic forms such as the free verse poem and the prose poem.
She is the author of Metapoesis in the Arabic Tradition (Brill, 2015) https://brill.com/view/title/31773 and The Arabic Prose Poem: Poetic Theory and Practice (Edinburgh University Press, 2021) https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-the-arabic-prose-poem.html. She is the co-translator of Lighthouse for the Drowning (BOA editions, 2017), The Sky That Denied Me (University of Texas Press, 2020), and Come Take a Gentle Stab: Selections from Salim Barakat (Seagull Books, 2021). Her translations of modern Arabic poems have appeared in Banipal, World Literature Today, Nimrod, ArabLit Quarterly and Asymptote among others. Her book of creative non-fiction titled Zaman saghir taht shams thaniya (A Small Time under a Different Sun) was published by Dar al-Nahda, Beirut in 2019.
She is co-editor of Middle Eastern Literatures and an editor of the Library of Arabic Literature.
- The Abbasid Poets: Abū Nuwās, Abū Tammām and al-Mutanabbī;
- Readings in Classical Arabic Criticism;
- The Prose Poem in Arabic;
- Arabic Belles Lettres;
- Seminar in Arabic Poetry from Pre-Islamic to Modern;
- Arabic Literature and Literary Theory;
- Arab Women and War;
- Modern Arabic Poetry in Translation;
- Arabic Modernism and the Culture of Literary Magazines
- “Form and History in Modern Arabic Poetics.” In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature. Oxford University Press, 2015—. Article published August 31, 2021; https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190201098.013.1206.
- "Abu Tammam and Abbasid Modernism." In Companion to World Literature, edited by Ken Seigneurie et al. https://www.academia.edu/41831254/Abu_Tammam_and_Abbasid_Modernism
- “Teaching the Abbasid Muḥdathūn at the Global Turn,” Journal of Medieval Worlds 1.4 (2019): 45-56. https://online.ucpress.edu/jmw/article/1/4/45/106835/Teaching-the-Abbasid-Mu-dathun-at-the-Global-Turn
- “Arabic Modernism’s Other Tradition,” a bi-weekly commentary series for Jacket2, Jan-March 2019. https://jacket2.org/commentary/huda-fakhreddine
- “Teaching against Stereotypes,” Talk About Teaching & Learning, University of Pennsylvania Almanac 64.31 (2018).https://almanac.upenn.edu/volume-64-number-31?fbclid=IwAR1FVp0rA7annjIpuzyc9QUzqzyYb9FNz56BeEucGUKYe1RRjUDqYK0JmKg#teaching-against-stereotype
- Come,Take a Gentle Stab: Selected Poems by Salim Barakat (Seagull Books, 2021) https://www.seagullbooks.org/come-take-a-gentle-stab/
- The Sky that Denied Me: Selected Poems by Jawdat Fakhreddine (University of Texas Press, 2020) https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/fakhreddine-the-sky-that-denied-me